Friday, August 15, 2008

Barak

When “MOST” people look at Barak, they see a black man, period. Therefore he is considered by most to be black, true or false?

What is he to you?

My view:

I view him as both...I think. I struggle with this at times. He looks like a black man to me. Our spectrums are so vast it’s hard to classify a black person from an outward appearance and associate them with one particular race when the African ancestry shines through the most.

Coming from a multiracial family myself, it's really hard to view this situation without injecting some degree of ambiguity with regard to race, after all, most black people in America and the Caribbean....are indeed just like Barak, yet we often claim one side of our heritage, why is that? Is it because of the history of our multicultural origination, i.e., miscegenation of slavery? Do we deny it because of it's horrid past?


He has my vote. No matter what. If Obama was pink, he would be my choice.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He is what GOD caused him to be, both. He didn't come about from immaculate conception..JESUS has that on lock!
I think the reason that people of multicultural backgrouds find it easiest to identify with the more dominant looking side of their ethnic make-up is because society over history has proven to treat us according to what they see and their perception and bias of that particular group. Also, it is a widely known truth that African American families more readily accept inter-ethnic marriages and children resulted from those unions, whereas the "other" half disengage from those loved one's who cross over..thus making it impossible for those like Barack to gain a healthy view of what the best of both worlds should be.

phynxsun

August 15, 2008 at 10:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must say first you have expanded my Vocabulary, I didn't know what the word "miscegenation" meant...anyway I agree with you. I think alot of people do deny other parts of their heritage because of slavery's horrid past.

As for "Barak"...to me he's a man who is a citizen of the U.S and is running for president. Humans seem to have such a need to categorize everything.

August 18, 2008 at 11:03 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home